Patient Zero (Revised Edition) (Kobo eBook)
- Massive interest: the COVID-19 pandemic has pushed sales to over 28,000 copies of the first edition
- THIS NEW, UPDATED EDITION INCLUDES:
- new interior design and cover
- Revised intro that frames epidemiology in light of Covid-19. This also includes an expanded list of definitions that now includes some of the terms readers will have heard on the news recently, like contact tracing, PPE, flattening the curve, social distancing, etc.
- A new chapter on Covid-19
- A Note on the Second Edition, clarifying when Marilee was writing the updates and what prompted the update. The note also says that efforts to get reliable information have been complicated by the fact that we are still learning about Covid-19, and that readers should exercise caution when looking at sources. What we know about Covid will change as science never stands still, but this doesn't mean that we should discount the research of scientists and responsible public health officials.
- Updates to the Ebola and AIDS chapters that cover new cases/new research into each disease, and also help contextualize each disease in light of Covid--for example, that delays in transportation and mail resulting from Covid will impact access to services and supplies, including to retroviral drugs. There could be as many as 500,000 additional deaths from AIDS in 2021 as a result.
- Revised conclusion that centers around what the world might look like following COVID, and when/whether things will really "move on."
- Updated glossary at the back of the book and updated further reading.