The Elements of Style (Classic Edition, 2017) (Paperback)
A new, expanded version of this book is available:
-Paperback: https: //www.amazon.com/dp/1643990004
-Kindle: https: //www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSJKF89
This updated 2017 Classic Edition contains the original version of William Strunk's The Elements of Style, and it includes various enhancements and additional content that make this book even more useful. This edition is now being used as a textbook in numerous classes this fall at University of Minnesota, University of Texas, and elsewhere.
Generations of college students and writers have learned the basics of grammar from this short book. It was rated "one of the 100 most influential books written in English" by Time in 2011, and iconic author Stephen King recommended it as a grammar handbook that all aspiring writers should read.
Written a century ago, Strunk's book is a nostalgic link to the Art Deco era and the Roaring Twenties. Many of the grammar rules listed in the book still apply today; but over the years, these rules have begun to age. This Classic Edition commemorates the 100-year anniversary of Prof. Strunk's book and follows his original version, but it offers these enhancements for modern readers:
1. Editor's Notes throughout the book alert readers to grammar rules that have become obsolete and provide up-to-date advice for contemporary students and writers.
2. Grammar examples are illustrated with "right" and "wrong" graphic elements, allowing readers to discern correct usages from grammar errors at a glance.
3. A Study Guide has been added at the back of the book.
4. The paperback version provides blank, lined pages at the back of the book for note taking.
5. The e-book version has been restyled for improved display on the latest Kindles and other e-book readers; and the paperback edition has been restyled for a more modern, appealing look.
If you are looking for a quick refresher to improve your grammar and style, or if you are taking a college course and this Classic Edition is on your required reading list, this book will give you the best of both worlds: a version that remains true to Strunk's original classic, plus modern touches that make this grammar book truly useful and up-to-date.