Voices of Newcomers (Paperback)
This is an easy-to-read guide for all teachers looking to meet the needs of Multilingual Learners/English Learners, in particular Newcomers and SLIFE (Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education). Educators may feel intimidated admitting that they need to learn more about ways to help their students; here they will find easy-to-implement and non-judgmental support that busy teachers can put into place from the first moment they pick up the book.
- How to manage the first days and first weeks to assist their Newcomers in adjusting (academically, emotionally, socially) to their new school and class
- Asset-based perspectives on the progress of Multilingual Learners (MLs)
- Information that will help teachers academically engage these students, in addition to ways to assess and motivate them
- Reflection questions and discussions for each chapter to guide book clubs or conversations in Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)
- Ready-to-use resources are provided to support educators as they meet the needs of MLs
This book is designed to be a go-to resource for general education teachers, preservice teachers, administrators, and ESL/ENL teachers who need support in teaching children who are new to the country and have little English. By amplifying the voices of these students, their families, and their teachers, this handbook includes real-life stories to help educators understand these diverse perspectives. This book is practical for educators of all ages who want to best empower their students to succeed.