Identity-Conscious Educator: Building Habits and Skills for a More Inclusive School (Paperback)
Learn powerful, practical strategies for creating an inclusive school community. The Identity-Conscious Educator provides a framework for building awareness and understanding of five identity categories: race, social class, gender, sexual orientation, and disability. Connect with vignettes and personal stories from the author that illuminate how to address identity topics in your personal and professional life. Then, develop skills in engaging in meaningful interactions with students and peers.
- Discover how identity affects both personal and professional lives.
- Review a framework for building habits and skills of identity-conscious teaching and learning.
- Build knowledge of five different identity categories and experiences--race, social class, sexual orientation, gender, and disability--and then act for positive change.
- Reflect with end-of-chapter questions.
- Review practical, research-based strategies, and activities for having difficult conversations and creating more inclusive communities.
- Part I: Getting Ready for Identity Work
- Chapter 1: The Journey to Identity Awareness
- Chapter 2: The Shift From Avoiding Conflict to Inviting Challenge
- Part II: Building Your Identity-Conscious Practice
- Chapter 3: Race
- Chapter 4: Class
- Chapter 5: Sexual Orientation
- Chapter 6: Gender
- Chapter 7: Disability
- Part III: Turning Planning Into Action
- Chapter 8: From Ally to Abolitionist
- Chapter 9: The Role of Failure in Identity Work
- Chapter 10: Tools for Extending Your Learning
- Chapter 11: From Practitioner to Facilitator
- Chapter 12: Beyond The Identity-Conscious Educator
- References and Resources