Structure and Meaning in English: A Guide for Teachers (Hardcover)
Structure and Meaning in English is designed to help teachers of English develop an understanding of those aspects of English which are especially relevant for learners who speak other languages.
Using corpus research, Graeme Kennedy cuts to the heart of what is important in the teaching of English. The book provides pedagogically- relevant information about English at the levels of sounds, words, sentences and texts. It draws attention to those linguistic items and processes which research has shown are typically hard for learners and which lead to errors.
Each chapter contains:
- a description of one or more aspects of English
- an outline of typical errors or problems for learners
- specific learning objectives listed at the beginning of each chapter
- exercises or tasks based on real English' taken from newspapers and other sources.
- discussion topics which can be worked through independently either as part of a course, or self study
With answers to many of the tasks given at the back of the book, this groundbreaking work provides a comprehensive and accessible textbook on the structure and use of the language for teachers of English.