We love our local book clubs!
Book clubs that have a name will be listed on our website along with their upcoming book choices. Please see the dropdown menu under Book Clubs for your club's books and check back often as we update frequently.
Book clubs whose members agree to purchase their books at BookPeople - and let us know ahead of time how many copies they will need of upcoming titles - will receive a 15% discount on their bookclub picks.
We must be informed about the book choice ahead of time and there must be several people committed to purchasing the book at BookPeople in order for the discount to apply.
Please note that if no one from the club contacts us about an upcoming book, book club members should not be surprised if the store does not have the book on hand and the discount is not given. Our staff is wonderful, but sadly, we are not mind readers.
Book club books will be on the special bookclub shelves in the front of the store. We will not reserve copies behind the counter for bookclubs as a group, however, we will always reserve a copy for any book club member who contacts us individually, for herself. Book club leaders do not know for sure that their members are going to purchase a book from us even if they said they would, and too often a pile of books that someone is supposedly going to purchase just sits there, homeless. Thank you for understanding!
One of our favorite small publishers, Europa Editions, has reading group guides available on its website: http://www.europaeditions.com/readinggroups.php
Top Book Club Picks in July 2017
The following were the most popular book club books during July based on votes from book club readers in more than 47,000 book clubs registered at Bookmovement.com:
1. A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman
2. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
3. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
4. Small Great Things: A Novel by Jodi Picoult
5. The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
6. The Underground Railroad (Oprah's Book Club) by Colson Whitehead
7. Lilac Girls: A Novel by Martha Hall Kelly
8. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
9. Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
10. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
[Many thanks to Bookmovement.com!]